Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Self Esteem

Last night during our dinner I asked TJ if he could help me with my workouts. I am not a morning person and when my baby is waking up all the time the last thing I want to do is wake up earlier than I already do! Lately Sophie has been sneaking out the front door and causing all sorts of mischief when I am not in the same room with her so doing it during the day is hard unless it's a video. So I asked him if the 3 nights he is home he could put the kids to bed while I worked out on the elliptical.
Brielle asked "Why do you work out?" We told her to stay healthy and strong.
Hunter then pipes in "To get skinny and not be a fatty!"
I snapped at him, I felt bad but I had a few comments made to me when I was younger and in my awkward chubby stage, still to this day it hangs around my thoughts. I do not want my girls to ever think that it's all about being skinny. Nor do I want my boys making girls feel bad about themselves. I know they hear it and see it all around them but I will try my hardest to keep them thinking positive things about themselves. It's important to be healthy and just because you have a little extra doesn't mean you're not beautiful!

6 comments:

Johnstun Fam said...

we should motivate eachother and help eachother! I have the hardest time as well, I am so tired in teh mornings and when I get home it's all about Tate until he goes to bed then time to clean. so let's help eachother get healthy! (oh and ps i want to be sure tate understands those same things, I like you had the same comments made and my mom always so worried about being skinny i don't want my kids to worrya bout image that way. :) love you!!!

Jamie said...

I think every girl has huge self esteem issues. It's hard living in a society where we are expected to look like what we see in computerized, make up'd ads and movies. You are beautiful Jess!

Stephanie said...

Good for you! If I ever have girls I want to do the same. With my boys, in a different way.

curtandheather said...

Hunter. How funny, I LOVE your kids :)GOod job mom!!

Eric and Jenny said...

It's so sad that negative comments stick with us for so long and sting so badly, when a sweet comment comes along you appreciate it but it tends to get shoved aside by feelings of inadequacy. I would love to instill in my children confidence in themselves no matter what, it seems so hard to do, but one I am constantly striving for. Thanks for a beautiful reminder.

Jamie said...

p.s whoever said the comment probably was jealous of you, I remember you from highschool and how beautiful you were, you have only gotten more beautiful the more I get to know you.