Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hunter's Surgery

Warning long boring post for most of you :)
The day I have been dreading has come and gone, and thankfully everything went smoothly. Hunter was born with an umbilical hernia and the Dr said we would watch to see if it closed on it's own until he was five. Well, it never fully closed but it wasn't ever a concern because it was so small and the only reason to do surgery was if the appearance bugged him. So we told him it was his body and if he wanted it fixed we could do it but told him it was surgery and not an easy fix.

A few months ago we were reading and he told me he wanted his belly button fixed because when his shirt comes up people always ask what's wrong with his belly button. As parents we were faced with a difficult decision, we didn't want him to think that surgery fixes everything but at the same time we didn't want him feeling bad about himself at such a young age. So we made an appointment and basically told him he was in charge and we would do whatever he wanted to do. He had to ask questions and we didn't sugar coat the procedure at all. He was excited and hid his nervousness well, probably because he knew I would cancel the surgery if I thought he was too scared :)

The day before the hospital called and told us we had to be there at 6am and most likely the surgery would start around 7:30am. TJ and I were a nervous wreck but hid it well, even though it was a simple outpatient procedure it is still heartbreaking having your child put under anesthesia and in other peoples hands. They would make a smiley face insicion under the belly button and push everything in and stitch it up inside. Then they glued the insicion and bandaged it up. Hunter didn't seem scared at all he was so excited and even though he said he wasn't nervous you could tell he was a little. They took him back around 7:45am and we went to the waiting room. Around 8:45am the Dr came out and said everything went well and as soon as he woke up we could see him. 45 minutes later I was starting to get worried and then TJ looks over and said "The nurse said it would take around an hour for him to wake up right?" Um, yea! Don't remind me! At that moment the nurse came out and told us we could see him. I was so relieved! Hunter looked good just really tired and loopy. He had all the nurses wrapped around his finger, they thought he was so cute. We have to wait until Saturday to take off his bandages and then he can shower. As for now we will enjoy watching movies and snuggling as long as it takes for him to feel back to normal!







5 comments:

Jamie said...

yay I am glad all went well! You and TJ are great parents! Hope he didn't get too sick with the meds!

Anonymous said...

Love you guys. I know everything went well but it breaks my heart to see Hunter all scrubbed up. :(

Eric and Jenny said...

He really does look like such a little sweetheart in those pictures, I am not surprised he had all of those nurses wrapped around his finger. So glad all went well for the little guy.

Brent~April~Kennley said...

He is the happiest little guy I know before having surgery...he didn't look nervous at all! What a trooper!

Thiago & Teri said...

What a brave little guy...I think he handled it all better than I would have. I hate stuff like that. Bet you are glad to have that over with, that can be pretty nerve wracking when you are the mom.