Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Students..

I have a thing with students learning things on me, I think they know I can't say no!
When Sophie was born they asked if a nursing student could practice on me and with my best friend in Nursing school and my sister in P.A school I had to let him of course. Well he was awkward, not gentle and followed me the whole two days doing everything on me. The funny thing is a few months later we had Chem-Dry clean come out to clean our rug and I was like this guy looks familiar, it was the Nursing student!! So awkward!!
So today I went to my 10 week appointment and the Medical Assistant asked if it was okay if a Nurse Practitioner student came with the P.A. Once again I cannot say no! This N.P was so weird, old, over friendly, and crazy!!! First thing she comes in and asked if I was growing a dark mustache, I said No and she said oh you are having a girl then! I was like who the heck is this psycho!! The P.A. came in and they did my exam and the N.P said I felt a lump the size of my pinkie near the left opening and the P.A was like it feels like normal tissue to me, she even seemed annoyed. So I had three ladies heads looking for a lump and to say the least I felt a little weird! So the student got to do all the stuff on me and the P.A checked and I was like o my heck what's the delivery going to be like this time! At least that sweet sound of the baby's heartbeat at the end made it all worth it!

5 comments:

Ashley and Ryan said...

hahaha....I am still laughing about this!

Ashley and Devan said...

Oh Jess.. that's bad! You should say NO next time. Lol! You poor thing.
I love hearing the hearbeat. That is always so neat.

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh my goodness, this is like total dejavu for me, I so feel for you.

When we were in KY it is a total teaching hospital the day my water broke with Luke was a Sunday we went to the emergency room to see what was going on. While seriously about 10 students are concerned with scaring on my cervix tossing around words like cervical cancer and they completly missed the real concern a ruptured water sac. To this day I think of that experience and just want to cry....I have no tolerance for students after that. I know they need to learn but just not on me!

I bet it was worth it seeing that cute little baby though.

Unknown said...

I'm glad there are people like you that actually agree to let students do stuff on you! When I was in nursing school, most people told me "no." The whole time I was on my labor and delivery clinicals, I was only able to watch 3 deliveries! I wasn't even doing anything but watching! :) I know it is frustrating to have "dumb" students (there were many in nursing school, and Kellen has many with him in medical school), but if nobody ever let us try, we wouldn't have doctors or nurses! You're a good sport!!

Jamie said...

I had a 17 year old girl job shadow her mother when Hannah was born. She held the mirror. Lol. Just say next time " I would rather not, I'm sorry." I know easier said then done. trust me I KNOW! lol- Also Misty Strattford, her mom was my delivery nurse when I had hannah, kinda cool